Friday, August 18, 2006

Organized Fridge?

The kitchen...it is my kitchen. The dishes are in the cupboard I want them in, the silverwear in the drawer I want, etc. After all, if I am the one in there cooking and doing all the work, why would it be any different?

Well, my 6-year-old son thinks I need help!

We have a rotating schedule for seats at our dinner table (that way all the kids get to sit by mom and dad and also have to take a turn just sitting by sibblings...yuck!). Whoever sits by me (which is twice a week) it is there turn to set the table, clear the table, etc.

Last night was my oldest's turn. I had him put all the things from the refrigerator away...most of the items went on the door. He tried to talk me into letting him put it on the shelf and I told him, 'No, things are where I want them, put it ALL on the door". Then I left the kitchen.

A few minutes later he comes to me and says...
"Mom, I think I could help you. If you will let me I could really get your fridge organized for you and make more room...really! I just need a few minutes, well, maybe a little more, but I can do it."

I told him no, I like the fridge the way it is, but thank you for offereing. He replied, " Mom, I really think you should let me organize it, I can make more room for you and it will be better. You will like it, I know! I can just have the door open for a little bit and I will take care of it!"

After a few more minutes of him trying every which way to talk me into organizing the fridge, and me trying hard not to laugh at his seriousness...we finally agreed that we could talk about it later!

WHEW! I better make sure that I warn his wife someday that she is getting someone who will want to be involved in the organizing of the refridgerator!
As long as he does the cooking...

5 comments:

Stacey said...

At least it wasn't your closet or dresser! He cracks me up!!

Anonymous said...

that's too funny....that will serve him well later in life. He'll be the only college freshman with an organized closet in the dorms! :)

Jodi said...

THAT IS AWESOME!!!! I just don't undertand why you would not allow him to organize your fridge. I guess he takes after his Nannie and aunt Jodi, you can't stop at the fridge. :)
Great story, needed it this morning!!! Great kid!!

Anonymous said...

I've seen your fridge, I say let him orgaize it for you

Julie said...

Oh, the fridge is sacred ground. We still tease my dad. Growing up whenever my mom would be out of town for some reason (which was seldom) he would totally reorganize the fridge. The shelves would be labeled (w/ sticky notes on the side of fridge) with things like "leftovers - eat 1st"..."leftovers - eat last". Then individual containers had sticky notes with contents and date. AAAAAAHHHHHH!